Pierogis are pleasant dumplings filled with potatoes and cheese. These are a conventional Polish dumpling that places a complete new which means to consolation meals!
What’s a Pierogi?
Pierogis look just like Potstickers however are stuffed with a potato and cheese filling and are produced from a easy egg dough. These are a dreamy creamy dumpling that’s assured to hit the spot. These pierogis are the final word consolation meals. The dough is a non-yeasted dough, that’s tremendous simple to work with, it rolls out like a dream. Historically these potato and cheese dumplings are made with farmer’s cheese which might be laborious to seek out. Cottage cheese and bitter cream make an ideal substitution.
The mixture of boiling after which pan-frying the pierogis offers the proper texture. These are completely tender with a barely crispy outdoors. The within incorporates a tacky luscious filling you’re going to love. These are means higher than something you will see within the frozen part of the shop. The caramelized onions and butter are completely divine. High these pierogis with a bit extra cheese and inexperienced onions if desired.
What You Want for Excellent Pierogis
The dough is easy to make and comes collectively shortly with these pantry staple elements. For the printable checklist of elements and measurements, observe the recipe card under.
- All-purpose flour: This may present the wanted construction for this fundamental dough.
- Salt: This can be a will need to have because it provides the flavour.
- Vegetable oil: You should utilize canola oil for a light tasting good possibility.
- Eggs: For the eggs to combine in fully and simply, have them at room temperature.
- Heat water: Utilizing heat water helps every little thing mix and creates a pleasant supple dough.
Cheese and Potato Filling Substances
Pierogis are stuffed with a savory potato and cheese filling that’s heat and comforting. You gained’t go incorrect with these selfmade pierogis! See the recipe card under for all of the measurements and full details about the pierogis recipe.
- Medium russet potatoes: Russets may have one of the best texture, different potatoes might be too waxy.
- Butter unsalted: Have the butter at room temperature or softened for straightforward mixing.
- Cottage cheese or bitter cream: You should utilize one or the opposite or a mixture of each.
- Cheddar cheese grated: I like to make use of finely grated cheese that I do myself.
- Salt: Once more this provides wanted taste so don’t forget it.
- Candy onion: Cube the onion small, or depart in lengthy slices.
- Butter: Extra butter, as a result of every little thing is healthier with butter.
Making the Dough
These pierogis are simply what it is advisable to create one of the best dinner for your loved ones. Begin with combining within the bowl the flour, salt, veggie oil and egg. Use the dough hook on low to combine till mixed. Convey the velocity as much as medium-high and blend for 5-6 minutes, till the dough is easy and springy. Switch to an oiled bowl and let relaxation for half-hour.
Pierogis Dough Filling
As soon as the dough is created and able to stuff with potatoes and cheese combination these pierogis will cook dinner up in minutes!
- Potatoes: Peel and chop potatoes into giant items and add to a pot. Add sufficient water to cowl the potatoes by an inch and produce to a boil over excessive warmth. Boil for about 20-25 minutes till the potatoes are fork tender. Drain and permit to chill for 5-10 minutes after which mash properly.
- Cheese Filling: Add within the butter, cottage cheese or bitter cream, cheddar cheese and salt. As soon as easy, put aside.
The best way to Make Do-it-yourself Pierogis
- Roll: Reduce the dough into two equal items and set one apart, conserving it lined to forestall it from drying out. Roll the opposite piece out on a floured floor till it’s ⅛ inch in thickness.
- Reduce and Fill: Utilizing a 3 inch cookie cutter reduce circles within the dough as shut as potential to maximise the quantity of usable dough. Add about ½ tablespoon of the potato combination to the middle of the rounds after which fold over. Pinch the perimeters collectively tightly to seal the filling in. Be certain that to essentially pinch the dough collectively since you don’t the filling to burst out.
- Fill the Relaxation: Put aside all of the completed pierogis after which repeat the method with the remaining half of the dough.need
- Onions: Add the chopped onion and butter to a big skillet. Cook dinner the onions on medium low for about 20 minutes, till the onions are good and browned.
- Boil and Skillet Fry: Convey a big pot of salted water to a boil over excessive warmth. As soon as boiling, add the pierogis in two batches and boil till they float, about 3 minutes. Take away with a slotted spoon and add them to the skillet with the cooked onions. Cook dinner over medium warmth for 2-3 minutes. Plate and eat whereas sizzling!
The Finest Polish Pierogi Ideas
Wealthy and tacky the one factor these pierogis want is time to assemble, however it’s tremendous simple to do! These are the proper dinner recipe your loved ones will love.
- Potatoes: Follow russet potatoes for this recipe. Golden and crimson potatoes are too waxy and can create a rubbery filling as a substitute of being easy and creamy.
- Mash: For one of the best texture of your potatoes use a ricer, meals mill or perhaps a fork to mash them. This may maintain the within mild and fluffy.
- Cheese: Finely grate your personal cheddar cheese to keep away from the anti-caking brokers on pre-shredded cheeses. This could maintain the cheese from melting and mixing with the potato combination.
- Cottage Cheese: In Poland they use what is named Farmer’s cheese. This may be laborious to seek out, so we use cottage cheese with sourcream to create the proper style and texture. Ricotta cheese might be substituted for the cottage cheese as properly.
- Should Boil then fry: Ensure you boil the pierogi first to cook dinner the dough completely. Then you’ll be able to both pan fry them and even air fry them. To air fry spray them with olive oil and place within the air fryer at 350 levels for 1-2 minutes per aspect. Watch fastidiously.
- High it: Garnish with extra cheese, sliced inexperienced onion, bacon and a aspect of bitter cream when you need.
These are undoubtedly a worthy essential dish with its wealthy filling and butter onion garnish. It’s a dish made to consolation the soul. Serve these with a wide range of sides to make it an entire meal your loved ones is completely going to like. Retaining a bit extra on the Polish aspect serve with a cabbage and sausage or a pleasant cabbage roll. Yum!
Making Forward and Freezing Pierogis
These style means higher than something from the frozen part from the shop. Make a double batch and freeze your personal for later.
- Make-Forward Dough: As soon as the dough is made, you’ll be able to both use it immediately or wrap it in plastic wrap and place within the fridge for as much as 2 hours earlier than utilizing. Let it relaxation at room temperature for quarter-hour earlier than utilizing. To freeze the dough, wrap it in plastic wrap after which place in a freezer bag for as much as 1 month. Thaw within the fridge overngight or on the counter until prepared to make use of.
- The best way to Freeze Pierogi: When you assemble the pierogi you’ll be able to freeze it earlier than cooking them. Make a double batch so you’ll be able to freeze some for one more time. Place the pierogi on a baking sheet and place within the freezer until frozen, about 2 hours. Then switch the pierogi to a freezer secure bag and freeze for as much as 1 month. No must thaw earlier than cooking, you’ll be able to boil them proper from the freezer, simply add an additional minute or two to the boil time.
Peel and chop potatoes into giant items and add to a pot. Add sufficient water to cowl the potatoes by an inch and produce to a boil over excessive warmth. Boil for about 20-25 minutes till the potatoes are fork tender. Drain and permit to chill for 5-10 minutes after which mash properly.
Add within the butter, cottage cheese or bitter cream, cheddar cheese and salt. As soon as easy, put aside.
Energy145kcal (7%)Carbohydrates16g (5%)Protein4g (8%)Fats7g (11%)Saturated Fats5g (25%)Polyunsaturated Fats1gMonounsaturated Fats1gTrans Fats1gLdl cholesterol22mg (7%)Sodium286mg (12%)Potassium101mg (3%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar1g (1%)Vitamin A117IU (2%)Vitamin C1mg (1%)Calcium38mg (4%)Iron1mg (6%)
All dietary data relies on third celebration calculations and is barely an estimate. Every recipe and dietary worth will fluctuate relying on the manufacturers you utilize, measuring strategies and portion sizes per family.