Three consuming meals, for 3 completely different alcohols! On this video, we’ll educate you (1) Sichuan-style dry-braised beef, a dish to go together with Baijiu (2) Plum boiled peanuts, a dish to go together with Huangjiu/Shaoxing wine and (3) smashed cucumber salad, a dish to drink on a sizzling day alongside a chilly beer.
0:00 – Wine pairings in China?
1:32 – Spicy Dry Braised Beef
7:10 – Plum Boiled Peanuts
9:44 – Smashed Cucumber
11:32 – Narwal
12:24 – On Portion Sizes
Narwal is right here by the best way, use the promo code CCD to get 200 bucks off:
And written recipes are over right here on Reddit in case you favor that format:
SICHUAN DRY BRAISED BEEF, INGREDIENTS
Be aware that the ‘cooked chili oil’ may be swapped with Lao Gan Ma chili crisp in a pinch.
1. Beef shin, 350g-1000g. Boil as huge of a batch as you want.
2. For the lushui boiling liquid: 1L water, 3 star anise (八角), 6 bay leaves (香叶), 1 tsp fennel seed (小茴香), 1 tbsp Sichuan peppercorn (花椒), 3 items sand ginger – non-obligatory (沙姜), 10g dried chili – erjingtiao (二荆条), cayenne, arbols, and so forth, 5g spicy dried chili – heaven dealing with (朝天椒), thai birds eye, and so forth, 2 inches ginger, 2 inches welsh onion (大葱) -or- one sprig scallion, 3 tbsp salt, 1/2 tbsp hen bouillon powder (鸡粉), 3 tbsp liaojiu a.ok.a. Shaoxing wine (料酒/绍酒).
3. For the cooked chili oil: 25g of dried chilis, 80g caiziyou (菜籽油) -or- Indian mustard seed oil -or- peanut oil, 1/2 inch ginger, 2 inches welsh onion (大葱) -or- scallion, 1/8 of an onion. For the chilis, Sichuan bullet head chilis (子弹头) are essentially the most genuine, however we used erjingtiao (二荆条). You should use any C Annum chili pepper that is extra ‘aromatic’ than ‘spicy’ – arbols, kashmiris, and so forth.
4. To combine, per 100g of beef: 1.5 tbsp soy sauce (生抽), 1 tbsp cooked chili oil from above -or- Lao Gan Ma chili crisp (老干妈香辣脆油辣椒), 2 tsp toasted sesame oil (麻油), 1/8 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp Sichuan peppercorn powder (花椒粉), 1/8 tsp MSG (味精), 30g fried or roasted peanuts, pounded, 10g toasted sesame seeds, 10g scallion slices, 25g chopped cilantro
Skip steps 5-6 in case you’re utilizing Lao Gan Ma as a substitute of home made.
1. Place the meat within the water and produce as much as a boil. Skim, if wanted.
2. Add all of the elements from the “for the lushui boiling liquid” above. Flip the warmth to low, cowl. Braise for 40 minutes, or till a chopstick can poke by means of it.
3. Take away the meat, let dry and funky down; a minimum of 3-4 hours.
4. Toast your sesame seeds: toast your sesame seeds in a dry wok over a medium-low flame for ~5 minutes or till the seeds start to show shade. You may as well roast in an oven, if that is simpler. We advocate doing an enormous batch and having them useful.
5. Toast and pound the chilis: reduce the chilis into sections, toast over low flame till it deepens in shade, ~5-7 minutes. Let it quiet down, then pound the chilis.
6. Warmth the caiziyou/mustard seed oil/peanut oil up till smoking (~220C), then shut off the warmth. As soon as the temp drops all the way down to ~180C, add the aromatics. Low flame, fry aromatics till golden brown. Shut off the warmth once more, let the oil come all the way down to ~150C. Add within the toasted chili flakes, combine effectively.
7. Thinly slice your beef, then combine it with the “to combine the meat” elements above.
PLUM BOILED PEANUTS, INGREDIENTS
1. Uncooked/inexperienced/recent peanuts (新鲜花生), 350g. Be aware that these are UNDRIED peanuts meant for boiling. Most supermarkets will not carry them exterior of peanut rising areas (e.g. coastal China, the American south). There are numerous hacks on-line for the best way to boil dry peanuts, however they take will a *lengthy* time.
2. Sodium carbonate (碱面)/kan sui, 1 tsp. For 1L of blanching water.
3. To boil: 1/4 tsp entire clove (丁香), 1/4 tsp fennel seed (小茴香), 4 items licorice root (甘草), 20g dried plums (话梅), 3 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp salt, 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar.
1. Pop the peanuts, blanch in boiling water along with the sodium carbonate for ~5 minutes. Take away, soak in cool water for ~5 minutes.
2. Put the peanuts in with the ‘to boil’ elements together with 3 cups of water. Carry to a boil, then all the way down to a simmer, then simmer on low for 45 minutes.
3. Soak till you are able to eat, a minimum of 4 hours.
SMASHED CUCUMBER SALAD, INGREDIENTS
1. Asian cucumber, 1. ~300g
2. Cucumber combine: 1/2 tbsp soy sauce (生抽), 1/2 tbsp darkish Chinese language vinegar (陈醋、香醋), 1/2 tbsp cooked chili oil -or- Lao Gan Ma chili crisp, 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil (麻油), 1/8 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp MSG (味精), 2 cloves minced garlic, 1 sprig cilantro.
1. Lower, smash, and reduce the cucumber into 1 inch items.
2. Chill for a minimum of half-hour within the fridge (or quarter-hour within the freezer)
3. Combine and serve instantly.
And take a look at our Patreon if you would like to help the undertaking!
Outro Music: คิดถึงคุณจัง by ธานินทร์ อินทรเทพ
Discovered through My Analog Journal (nice channel): https://youtu.be/GHaL5H-VYRg