Youngsters and adults love journey!
In case your planning a household getaway that may excite the children and amaze the mother and father, Corcovado Nationwide Park on Costa Rica’s Osa Peninsula is bound to please everybody.
It’s thrilling for households to discover the center of a tropical jungle collectively, and to see unique wildlife in it’s pure habitat.
One of many issues to do within the park is to do a Corcovado Nationwide Park hike.
This weblog publish shares our expertise of mountain climbing in Corcovado Nationwide Park with children.
About Corcovado Nationwide Park
The Corcovado Nationwide Park is positioned on the Osa Peninsula in Costa Rica. Whereas the park is among the extra distant within the nationwide park system, Corcovado offers glorious wildlife viewing alternatives.
Wildlife within the Corcovado N.P.
Nationwide Geographic referred to as Corcovado Nationwide Park the “most biologically intense place on Earth” and that is no exaggeration. All 4 of the monkeys species discovered inside Costa Rica (Mantled Howler, Squirrel Monkey, Spider Monkey and White-faced Capuchin) exist in massive numbers all through the park.
- Two crocodilians (the often massive and saline tolerant American Crocodile and the small Spectacled Caiman) persist inside the entire park’s main waterways, as do Bull sharks.
- The Jaguar inhabitants throughout the park is the healthiest in all of Central America, nevertheless it’s nonetheless extraordinarily unlikely for a customer to identify one (most locals have by no means seen them both.)
- Many different elusive cats name the park dwelling as effectively, together with the Puma (which is barely smaller and extra arboreal in Central American than in the USA, most likely attributable to competitors with the Jaguar,) Ocelot, Jaguarundi and Margay.
- The park is among the final strongholds of the Baird’s Tapir and there are a whole bunch inside respectable proximity from Sirena Station, often discovered lounging within the shade or in shallow swimming pools of stagnant water.
- There are dozens of snake species current, lots of them venomous, together with the Fer-de-lance (also called terciopelo or “Costa Rican landmine”,) the Bushmaster, the Eyelash Pit Viper, and the Coral Snake.
- The biggest snake throughout the park is the non-venomous Boa Constrictor.
- Quite a few different small mammals and reptiles are widespread throughout the park together with, however under no circumstances restricted to, the White-nosed Coati, Sloth, Tamandua, Big Anteater, Basilisk, and Ctenosaur.
- Birds embody the extremely endangered Scarlet Macaw, the Tiger Heron, Black Vulture and the Toco Toucan, amongst a whole bunch of others together with the critically endangered Harpy Eagle.
Getting there by bus
Common bus service is offered to Puerto Jimenez. Passenger truck service from Puerto Jimenez to the southern entrance at Carate happens on a biweekly or larger foundation.
The journey usually takes between 3-5 hours by highway relying on climate, site visitors situations.
Getting there by 4WD
All roads on the Osa Peninsula exhibit the disrepair attribute of Costa Rica outdoors of the primary vacationer locations. The highway from Puerto Jimenez to Carate require a 4WD automobile as it’s a gravel highway with a number of required river fordings.
It is strongly recommended that this drive ought to solely be tried throughout the dry season. Word that Carate is subsequent to the seashore. Take care to not move Carate as it’s poorly marked. Parking is offered by paying the shop/bus cease which is Carate.
4WD Taxis can be found for the passage from Puerto Jiminez to Carate. They’re straightforward to search out on the primary strip of Puerto Jiminez.
Charges and permits
Permits have to be reserved prematurely. It’s essential to have a allow to remain in a single day at Sirena. In observe, the Park usually permits campers with their very own meals to enter with out advance reservations and prepayment, however throughout busy instances of the 12 months even the tenting areas are crammed, particularly Sirena Ranger Station.
Sirena is the one ranger station that provides dormitory lodging and scorching meals along with tenting. La Leona, San Pedrillo, and Los Patos provide solely tenting with no meals service.
It’s doable to safe park permits immediately from the Ranger Station in Puerto Jiménez. Additionally they do settle for bank cards now (visa/grasp).
Corcovado Nationwide Park Hike
Mountain climbing within the tropical rainforest collectively as a household can assist to construct a basis of affection for the outdoor and create household experiences that will probably be remembered over a lifetime.
Mountain climbing within the tropical rainforest jungle with children and younger adults is totally different expertise than with a bunch of solely adults. Youngsters hike slower, their perspective is from a spot nearer to the bottom. Youngsters are curious and have many questions on the brand new setting. There’s a actual pleasure in discovering the jungle from a younger individuals standpoint.
Crucial consideration in enterprise a protracted hike with kids is to okeep them engaged and by way of out the hike. One nice strategy to hold them engaged is to maintain a listing of all wildlife encountered, after which to evaluate the record collectively over dinner.
Associated Learn: Bird Watching Tips for Costa Rica
Each children and adults will probably be amazed on the variety of totally different species that they discovered within the forest. There are numerous video games that may be performed on the path collectively to retains child’s engaged, one other good one is to select a letter and seek for issues within the jungle that begin with that letter. For instance, the letter is M, and so they spot Macaw, Monkey, Motmot, Morpho, and so forth.
It’s necessary to do not forget that children and younger adults have totally different talents and stamina and fogeys have to truthfully assess if it’s each bodily and psychologically doable for his or her baby to make a serious multi-day hike to Corcovado’s Sirena Organic Station or if a shorter day journey is extra acceptable. Consider your baby’s capacity to stroll on their very own for 6-8 hours, and make sure your children get pleasure from mountain climbing and exploring.
Corcovado Nationwide Park hike particulars
The most effective seasons for doing the Corcovado Nationwide Park hike are the dry season from mid December by way of April and the start of the Inexperienced Season in Could, June and July. From mid August by way of mid November is the thick of the wet season. The park is closed in October attributable to inclement climate.
Park reservations are essential to enter the park, even for day journeys, so be sure you prepare your reservation by way of the park workplace or your information earlier than hand.
Two nice hikes for households into Costa Rica’s Corcovado Nationwide Park each begin on the La Leona Ranger Station, accessed from the small city of Carate. A 3rd choice is to constitution a airplane from Puerto Jimenez to fly you into the park.
1. Day journey to Rio Madrigal for teenagers age 6 and older and adults preferring shorter walks
This hike begins within the morning on the La Leona Ranger Station, and takes hikers 2.5 kilometers (1.5 miles) to Rio Madrigal. Alongside the path, search for scarlet macaws, monkeys, morpho butterflies, mushrooms, and different natural world.
Whereas this hike will be made with out a information, guides are advisable as they’ll spot, share and clarify the pure ecosystem and animals to the complete household. Carry a picnic lunch and your swimwear for a refreshing river swim after which hike again out to the La Leona Ranger Station within the afternoon.
2. Multi-day journey (3 or 4 days) to Sirena Organic Station for teenagers ~12 years outdated and up and adults who get pleasure from severe mountain climbing
This multi-day hike additionally begins within the early morning on the La Leona Ranger Station and takes hikers 17 kilometers (10 miles) from La Leona to Sirena Organic Station. Alongside the path your information will level out a variety of natural world from the forest flooring all the way in which up into the rainforest cover. This hike shouldn’t be made with out a household pleasant information, as there are a number of river crossings and seashore outcrops to navigate in collaboration with the tides.
Day one is spent mountain climbing to Sirena Organic Station, the center day(s) are spent exploring the community of trails round Sirena, and may embody river swimming, waterfalls, and nature walks, and the ultimate day is spent mountain climbing out to La Leona Ranger Station.
3. Constitution a airplane into Sirena Organic Station
A 3rd choice for households not in a position to hike into Sirena Organic Station is to constitution a airplane from Puerto Jimenez (seats 6) to fly in / and or / out of the park. This feature skips the day lengthy hike, and provides superb aerial views of the Osa Peninsula. The touchdown on the grass airstrip in the course of the jungle is one other expertise you’ll not quickly neglect.
Hikes alongside the La Leona Path meander from seashore to forest, so be sure you deliver loads of water (3 liters per individual is advisable), a hat and good sunscreen for this expedition.
Suggestions earlier than the hike
- Get your children outdoor usually to go searching for the small stuff – bugs, fungus, birds.
- Let children take part in working towards their mountain climbing expertise earlier than the massive journey.
- Share maps, footage of animals, bugs and vegetation discovered within the tropical rainforest.
- Categorical and share your personal sense of pleasure along with your children.
Suggestions throughout the hike
- Carry loads of snacks to eat and water to drink.
- Give children their very own daypack or camelpack stuffed with water, emergency whistle, flashlight and snacks.
- Emphasize enjoyable: recognizing unique wildlife, humorous vegetation, or river swimming is at all times enjoyable.
- Embrace the tempo set by the children, cease usually to let children relaxation, watch, and gas up.
- Take a lot of footage to recollect the enjoyable.
- Let children be children and be ready to vary the plan if it’s not working.
What to deliver on the hike
- Loads of water
- Snacks for hike in / out
- Hat & swimsuit
- Snug light-weight clothes
- Sunscreen & sun shades
- Closed toe, ankle excessive footwear
- Insect repellent
- Digital camera / binoculars
- Sheets / tent for Sirena
- Flashlight / different necessities
Associated Learn: Must Have Hiking and Camping Gear
Extra Suggestions for mountain climbing safely in Corcovado Nationwide Park Costa Rica
The water on the ranger station is potable, however in case you are involved, deliver some kind of water air purifier. The park recommends you carry 1.5 liters of water for the La Leona and Los Patos hike, however I’ve seen my friends drink this throughout the first 2 hours. Know your self and your water wants, dehydration and heat-exhaustion are widespread diseases within the park.
It’s advisable to make use of sunscreen, a hat, and lengthy sleeved shirt on the hike from Sirena to La Leona. Whereas a lot of the hike is thru the jungle, there are lengthy stretches alongside the seashore that profit from solar safety.
Current outbreaks of Dengue Fever in Costa Rica are a priority. At the moment there isn’t any Malaria to be nervous about. Additionally, bug spray helps with the sand flies and no-see-ums…
Solo Mountain climbing? No
It’s greatest to hike with a information or a mountain climbing buddy. There are a number of difficult river crossings and difficult rocky ocean/seashore crossings that must be navigated at low tide…
Don’t hike off-trail
Annually individuals attempt to bushwack their strategy to found areas of Corcovado, and annually the area people has to preform rescue missions to search out them after they go lacking. In your security and the security of others, it’s greatest to stay to the marked trails.
Crocodiles and Bullsharks rule the ocean right here and like to swim on the mouth of rivers. As well as, the currents and tides are fairly highly effective.
Cross rigorously and shortly, and by no means danger crossing the rivers at excessive tide or throughout heavy rain.
Watch the place you step and contact. There are Fer de Lance and different toxic snakes within the area. Be particularly cautious round rivers and streams the place they arrive to eat frogs, particularly at evening.
Seemingly innocent, their bites sting for as much as one hour…
There are two totally different species of peccaries in Corcovado, the Collared and the White-lipped Peccary. They run in packs and will be very aggressive. If threatened by a bunch of peccaries, climb a tree till you might be six toes or increased off the bottom.
Is the Corcovado Nationwide Park hike price it?
Whereas it’s actually a hike vs a stroll by way of the park, Costa Rica’s Corcovado Nationwide Park hike is an expertise of a lifetime. Corcovado is dwelling to five% of the world’s biodiversity and has been described by Nationwide Geographic as probably the most “biologically intense” place on earth.
A visit into Corcovado will probably be a visit your loved ones will always remember.